All of the sudden Visual Studio 2010 decided to not work. The install was on a laptop I had not touched since I last did a presentation at a user group (about 2-3 weeks). I go to start it up to test out the code for my presentation (that night) and got a lovely error message when trying to start Visual Studio, “The operation could not be completed” and that was it.
I tried safe mode start-up “devenv.exe /safemode” and also removing all add-ins and extensions. I also tried resetting user settings “devenv.exe /resetsettings” and all the other switches I could find. Nothing. This was a random out of the blue problem.
I tried to install SP1 but got the same error which caused SP1 install to fail. I uninstalled all Visual Studio items and did a reinstall. Same problem.
Finally I found an MSDN post where the poster said he solved it by renaming “%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG” to something else. I changed it to VS7DEBUG1.
After that, it started working just fine. What the original problem was, I have no idea.